Sermon Notes from Morning Worship
Sunday, January 2, 2011
Series: “Dealing With My Feelings”
Today: “The Divine in Our Design”
Scripture: Psalm 139:13-16 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. 15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, 16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Intro: With all the challenges this year may bring I believe the greatest will be dealing with your feelings !
A. Today’s message is looking at the divine in our feelings.
B. The Hebrew word used for “inmost” or “inward” refers to the emotions or affections inside us.
I. GOD DESIGNED OUR FEELINGS TO FLOW FROM OUR THOUGHTS .
* We are not to deny our feelings, but we must identify the thoughts that created them.
II. GOD WANTS TO HELP US WITH OUR THOUGHTS .
A. Psalm 139:23 23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
B. Sources of our thoughts.
1. Some thoughts come from past mistakes (regrets).
2. Some thoughts come from poor self-esteem .
3. Some thoughts come from people around us .
4. Some thoughts come from God Himself .
Conclusion: The Psalmist David wrote: “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”
* Feel your feelings: track the facts behind them; deal appropriately with them!