Sunday Morning Worship
October 16, 2011
Series: “I Am a Missionary”
Today: “Myths About Missionaries”
Scripture: Colossians 4:2-6 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. 3 And pray for us, too, that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Christ, for which I am in chains. 4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should. 5 Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity. 6 Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.
Intro: Circle the statements that are fact, not myths:
* Don’t go outside without a coat; you’ll catch a cold.
* Don’t crack your knuckles; you’ll get arthritis.
* Don’t swallow chewing gum; it won’t digest well.
* We only use 10% of our brain.
* If you sneeze with your eyes open, you will blow an eye out of its socket.
* An apple day keeps the doctor away.
I. MYTH 1: WE MUST CARRY A HEAVY BURDEN TO CONVERT PEOPLE.
Matthew 11:29-30 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
* Why would our burden be light and easy?
1. God does the converting , not us.
2. God loves people more than we possibly could.
3. God makes us what He wants us to be.
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
II. MYTH 2: WHEN WE DO IT RIGHT , PEOPLE WILL RESPOND.
* Jesus told the parable of the farmer and the seed. Three out of the four seeds didn’t take; most people will reject Jesus, no matter how well He is presented.
Matthew 7:14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.
III. MYTH 3: PEOPLE ARE NOT INTERESTED .
A. Most people feel a need to find God in a personal way!
B. We as Christ followers have what people are seeking .
* “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders…” – Colossians 4:5.
Conclusion: The final myth: We must have all the answers .
1 Corinthians 2:1-5 When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. 2 For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. 3 I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. 4 My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power, 5 so that your faith might not rest on men’s wisdom, but on God’s power.
* When we get a chance to share how Jesus impacted our lives , that means more to people than theological knowledge!