Sunday Morning Worship
May 13, 2012
Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NLT All scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work.
2 Peter 1:20-21 NLT Above all, you must realize that no prophecy in scripture ever came from the prophet’s own understanding, or from human initiative. No, those prophets were moved by the Holy Spirit, and they spoke from God.
Intro: A great definition of “study”: Application of the mind to the acquisition of knowledge by reading, investigating and reflection.
A. God wants us to exercise our study muscles in order to mature in our walk with Him.
Philippians 1:9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight
2 Peter 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge
2 Peter 1:8 For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
I. READ THE BIBLE.
A. Read a translation that uses our modern day language.
B. Read small portions.
C. Develop a reading plan .
1. Start by reading the Gospel of John.
3. Finish the New Testament.
4. Use Psalms as devotional reading.
II. INVESTIGATE YOUR QUESTIONS .
A. As you read, you will come to verses you don’t understand.
B. How to investigate:
1. Ask God for wisdom as you look for the answers.
2. Use free tools on your computer.
3. Email pastorben ‘at’ thenaz.org if you can’t find your answers in the above free resources.
III. REFLECT ON YOUR STUDY.
A. After reading and investigating, we cannot be satisfied until we reflect on what this information means to our lives !
B. Questions for reflection.
1. After reading a small portion of scripture:
* What truths did I learn ?
* Are these truths evident in my life?
* How can I apply them today?
2. What good deeds or ministry am I consistently doing now that I did not do a year ago?
3. What sinful behavior have I defeated in my life in the last year?
4. Are my levels of love for God and all people higher than a year ago?
Conclusion: God’s people have always realized how absolutely essential it is to study and obey God’s Word.