Sunday Morning Worship
January 15, 2012
Series: “The Biggest Loser”
Today: “Losers Pay the Price”
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9:24-27 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. 27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
Intro: There is an old saying that I believe is generally true: “You get what you pay for .”
* The Apostle Paul tells us that Christ followers must go into “ strict training .”
I. THE STRATEGY BEHIND THE PRICE.
A. Paul writes: Run in such a way as to get the prize.
B. Question: What does your plan look like?
II. THE PAIN BEHIND THE PRICE.
A. Paul’s words: I beat my body down.
B. If we are going to become more like Christ in 2012, __pain__ is going to be a factor!
1. It’s painful and hard to say no to cravings of the flesh.
2. It’s hard to control our tempers and return a kind word for harsh words given to us.
3. It’s hard to forgive quickly when they don’t deserve that generous spirit.
4. It’s hard to stay sexually pure when we are surrounded with so much allurement and everyone else is doing it!
III. THE CONSEQUENCES BEHIND THE PRICE.
A. Why does Paul pay the price, beating his body down? So he wouldn’t be disqualifed for the prize.
B. Don’t be disqualified in the end; there is too much to lose !
Conclusion: Are you going to be the biggest loser this year? Losing your fleshly desires to be a winner in your spiritual life?
* Some questions:
1. What sin needs to be eliminated?
2. What attitude needs to be adjusted?
3. What apology needs to be given?
4. What good deed needs to be done?
5. What person needs to be encouraged?
6. What money needs to be given?
7. What time needs to be volunteered?