Sermon Notes from Morning Worship
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Series: “Dealing With My Feelings”
Today: “God’s Focus on Our Feelings”
Scripture: Philippians 2:12-15 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed–not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence–continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. 14 Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15 so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe.
Ephesians 3:16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being.
Intro: Our feelings are important to God and He uses them to leverage His kingdom work!
I. GOD USES OUR FEELINGS IN OUR DECISIONS .
A. God works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose.
B. God can sanctify our “wanter” .
* Conditions needed to trust your “wanter”:
1. You approach decisions with prayerful caution.
2. You evaluate your spiritual disciplines with honesty.
3. You wait on the Lord before making the decision.
II. GOD TURNS OUR FEELINGS INTO OUR PASSIONS .
* When God focuses on our feelings, He is moving us toward the passions that will shape our lives!
III. GOD HELPS OUR FEELINGS STABILIZE AND MATURE .
A. Ephesians 3:16 – Paul prayed for the Ephesian Christ followers to be strengthened in their inner being .
B. Areas of emotional health.
1. Controlled anger without wild emotional outbreaks.
2. Short bouts of discouragement with quick rebounds to joy-filled living.
3. Finding times of spiritual refreshment after an emotionally draining experience.